Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Digital Badge #K

WebQuests, Virtual Field Trips, and Videoconferencing:

Although I have only noticed WebQuests, video conferencing used as a way to deliver professional development in the form of online courses from universities and publishers; and discussion boards; live chats like the military families way to communicate with their loved ones. I think WebQuests can be another excellent way to present information to students in a way that allows them to access information at their own convenience and at their own pace while utilizing the vast resources of the Internet. While previous Web Watch columns have typically focused on Internet resources for teachers, this column focuses on a particular resource for teachers that have direct implications for literacy teaching and learning for students. For me this is a new area of exploring however, I do like the fact that students nor teachers do not have to worry about not having the funding for field trip they can take virtual field trips around the world if they want too. I think this is cool I have been exploring with my daughter using Google Earth. Lee County Schools have not had the chance to explore this new area with the students yet it is still new. My daughter did not know about Google Earth.

Online Learning and Virtual Schools:

            Distance education is becoming a more vital part of the higher education family. Just about every major university offers some online courses. Distance education reaches a broader student audience, better addresses student needs opposed to traditional learning. Educators support online learning because of its unique abilities to provide students with enriched learning experiences, to extend learning beyond the school day, and to support more successful differentiated learning strategies that personalize students’ educational experiences. Additionally, as educators gain more experience with the approaches to and benefits of blended learning. Today’s digital native students expect their learning environment to include technology because it is an intrinsic part of their lives. I personally prefer blended learning opposed to the traditional learning environment. However, I do have some concerns when it comes to charter schools vs public education my concerns have to do with standards.  I worked at a charter school and the students were not on the same learning standards as the students attending lee county public schools. I am aware of that charter schools do not have to abide by district standards. Therefore when the students had to be placed in a lee county schools they we not up to grade level. I hope in the future this will change.

Educational Websites As Teaching Resources:


            Educational websites such as YouTube has been major teaching resources for not only teachers but as for students as well. I did not realize there were so many helpful website to go to for academic support help not only in math and reading but also in many of the other subjects. I think in this fast paced 21 century we need the resources to keep up. I have so little to say here because of all the information out there right now just a few clicks away.  I am still amazed at all the helpful websites to use. My only problem is how would you know where to find them? I try to keep up with the world of education because of the love I have for children but, even I did not know until now reading this chapter the different website resources I could have used them to help my son. My daughter is so amazed at the different science websites, she loves science thank you this chapter has been an eye opener for my family.  

Resources:
Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc  

1 comment:

  1. There are so many valuable websites for learning out there. :) Keeping track of them is tough, but that is why I introduced Delicious (and asked you to start collecting all of those great websites.) as it is such a valuable tool to bookmark them in the 'cloud' and to organize them by tags. I hope your children will have more opportunity to take advantage of the digital world as they continue in the system. :)

    Taking virtual field trips via websites and Google Maps/Earth are truly awesome - in fact, on Google Earth, you can go underwater and explore the skies. It certainly opens up a 'whole new world' for our students. Then when you add in collaborative projects with classrooms around the world, we get the real meaning of global education.

    ReplyDelete